Name Changes

Name changes are sought for many reasons. A name change can be for minor children or for an adult. A name change for a minor child can be more complicated because, generally, one would need the authorization of both biological parents otherwise the proceeding would become a contested proceeding. The court would then have to determine whether the name change is in the child’s best interest. An adult name change is much simpler. Adults will obtain name changes if they want to “Americanize” their name or they simply don’t like their birth name. Commonly a name change is sought when a woman’s maiden name was not restored after a divorce process. Occasionally, mothers will keep their married name to have the same name as their minor children but when their minor children become adults they would like to be restored to their former name. Contact the attorneys at The Harrian Law Firm, P.L.C. to discuss your name change.